**As of tomorrow, Google Reader will be no more. . so please follow me on Blog Lovin! Thank you!!**
Summer is officially here and we’ve fired up the grill about 4 or 5 times already. A few things I love about grilling: 1) The smell. . ah, love the smell of meat or veggies on the grill and the smoke 2) My husband is the grill master and does everything so I get to take a break! and 3) it’s silly but I love the grill marks on food. Like it’s been branded or stamped letting you know it’s been on the grill.
The other thing about Summer is that it gets quite a bit warmer here in Washington and most houses here don’t have air conditioning. Yes, you heard me right.
No air conditioning.
I was born and raised in Texas. “No air conditioning” is not a term or phrase we hear often or even understand. But I’m in Washington now and we really don’t even need it, EXCEPT for the summer time where it reaches the upper 80’s (on Monday, it’s supposed to be 88 degrees) and come on, that’s kinda hot if you don’t have any A/C. So, what are we doing?
We’ve pulled out our portable fans and we’re eating salads.
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have recognized my recent obsession with broccoli slaw. I freaking love the stuff. And in the summer time, give me some grilled corn on the cob any day. For today’s salad, I wanted to add a little kick. . so I hope you like kimchi!
This salad is anything but ordinary. I loved all the flavors and textures together. . so if you can get your hands on some kimchi, I hope you give this one a try. I ate two bowls.
I hope you enjoy!
Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad
Author: Hip Foodie Mom
Recipe type: Main or Side
- 3 ears of sweet corn; husked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter; melted
- 2 carrots; shredded
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup green onions; diced + more for garnish
- 7-9 slices of bacon; cooked until crispy and then broken into bits
- 1/4 cup roasted walnuts or peanuts (optional)
For the kimchi mixture:
- 1 cup kimchi (try to use kimchi that has been fermented a little longer; it will taste better)
- 1 tablespoon honey (feel free to add a little more if you want it sweeter)
- 2-3 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- Fire up your grill. When your grill is ready, brush on the melted butter on your corn and place on the grill. Grill for about 8-10 minutes, turning the corn every 2 minutes or so until all the sides are slightly charred. Set aside to cool.
- To make the kimchi mixture: Using a food processor or blender, blend or pulse the kimchi, honey and brown rice vinegar together. You want to end up with blended kimchi. Taste and adjust with honey or vinegar if necessary.
- To assemble the salad: using a large mixing bowl, combine the grilled corn (cut from the cob), shredded carrots, brocoli slaw, green onions, crispy bacon bits, and walnuts or peanuts (if using). Pour in the kimchi mixture and mix well. Garnish with more green onions and serve.
Inspired by Kimchi Grilled Corn on the Cob by A Spicy Perspective
Today, for Sunday Supper, we’re having a summer BBQ hosted by the lovely Jennie of The Messy Baker blog! Be sure to check out all of the wonderful recipes below!
Hot Off the Grill:
On the Side:
In the Cooler:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, June 30th to celebrate Summer. We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here -> Sunday Supper Movement
Original Content provided by Hip Foodie Mom