Looking for the perfect, crowd-pleasing appetizer when entertaining this holiday season? Look no further. This is it. And if this doesn’t convert the non-kale lovers out there, I don’t know what else will. They are a lost cause then.
But maybe keep trying. . because kale is so good!!
I can’t believe Christmas is next week?! How did that happen? I still have some shopping to do. . but yesterday I opted to stay in (it was snowing) and make this plate of Creamed Kale Crostini.
I am so glad I did. The creamed kale + the parmesan and gruyere cheese + the garlic and red pepper flakes. . all on a little toasted piece of bread with dijon mustard? Oh my gawd. Hold me back. These are delicious. You must try this recipe ASAP. I’m making these again on Christmas Day for sure!
Creamed Kale Crostini
MAKE AHEAD The creamed kale can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before using.
Author: Hip Foodie Mom
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 9 oz. (family size) 100% baby kale from Organic Girl; discard stems if desired
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano + gruyere cheese (+ more for garnish)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- baguette slices, oiled with extra virgin olive oil and toasted
- dijon mustard or stone ground mustard
- fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the kale until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, squeeze and let cool slightly, then finely chop.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just starting to brown, 2 minutes. Add the kale and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add the cream and bring just to a slight boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the cream has thickened. Stir in the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread dijon or stone ground mustard on each toast and top with the kale. Garnish with more grated cheese and a little fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine.
And the shopping? I’m just going to do the rest of my shopping online. Speaking of which, I hope my husband is reading this post because I want these Twist Candlesticks from Red Envelope! Aren’t they pretty?
Or this Personalized Cutting Board. . I love this!
Still shopping for some special people in your life? Check out these fabulous gift ideas from Red Envelope! I’m thinking of getting these super cute snow globes!
Original Content provided by Hip Foodie Mom