So the big game is Sunday and I don’t know about you but, in my mind, no game day is complete without a finger lickin’ good appetizer.
And what could be better than chicken wings? Extra Spicy Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings to be exact. I’m sure every house will already have a big plate of wings on the table so if you don’t already have your go-to wings recipe, keep reading . .
Maybe you’ve never bothered to make homemade wings because you have that go-to bag of frozen wings that you always pick up from Costco . . but I’m here to tell you today that these are so easy to make . . you need to make these wings yourself and add these to your Super Bowl menu. And if you like sweet and spicy, you’re going to love these chicken wings!
Extra Spicy Honey-Sriracha Chicken Wings
If you have a baking rack to place on a lined baking sheet, this is preferred as the chicken wings release liquid as they bake in the oven.
Author: Hip Foodie Mom
Recipe type: Appetizer
For the chicken wings:
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, about a pinch of both
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
For the honey-sriracha glaze:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 heaping cup Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (+ more if desired)
Special equipment suggested:
- Baking rack placed on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
For the wings:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place your baking rack on a prepared lined baking sheet. Pat your chicken wings dry with paper towels, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, vegetable oil, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the wings and toss well to coat. Place the wings on the baking rack (in the baking sheet) and bake for about 25-30 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through.
For the glaze:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until lightly browned, for about 1 minute. Stir in the honey, Sriracha, soy sauce and lime juice. Bring to a slight boil and let simmer until slightly thickened, for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Returning to the wings: After baking, remove the wings from the oven and switch the oven temp to a full broil (500 degrees) and brush the wings with the Sriracha glaze, sprinkle on the red chili pepper flakes, fresh cilantro and sesame seeds and broil for 2-3 minutes, watching your wings carefully to ensure they do not burn.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious.
Enjoy and. . GO SEAHAWKS!!! And stay tuned for Super Bowl Sunday. . I’m bring a classic game day favorite and spicing it up!
Original Content provided by Hip Foodie Mom