A healthy diet is usually the first place that we start when making changes towards living a healthy lifestyle. Diet is so important to our health and well being because the foods we eat are absorbed into our systems and create the cells in our body. A secondary part of a healthy lifestyle is looking at the products that we are putting ON on bodies. The personal care products we use on a daily basis are also being assimilated into our bodies. About 60% of what you put on your skin is being absorbed into your bloodstream. The biggest problem with this is that most personal care products on the market are filled with chemicals and many of them have health implications.
There are no requirements for companies to prove that the chemicals they are using in their products are safe to use. It is up to us to be informed consumers and investigate all the products we buy to make sure they are safe.
When I first realized this was an issue, I started researching all of the products I was using at the time and discovered how toxic they were. I’ve learned a lot about personal care products through my own research and experience. I hosted a live webinar on this topic and we discussed the top toxins to avoid in products that are commonly used by families. The categories I discussed are:
- Diaper Cream
- Body Lotion
- Bubble Bath
Some of the Toxins I Discuss…
Honestly, there is a huge list of toxins and chemicals to avoid in personal care and beauty products. It’s a wide range of products and chemicals so I discuss the most common things found in products that are used most often. Here are a few:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- Irritant to the skin, eyes and lungs
- Possible non-reproductive organ system toxicity
- Parabens are estrogen-mimicking preservatives
- May disrupt the endocrine system and cause reproductive and developmental disorders.
- Linked to breast cancer
- Fragrances can contain hormone disruptors and are among the top 5 allergens in the world.
- Chemicals in “fragrance” do not need to be on the label because they are considered trade secrets
My tips for Making the Best Choices
So, what good is all this information if we don’t know how to use it to our benefit? Not much. These are my top tips for choosing the cleanest products on the market. In the class recording I talk through these tips in detail.
- ALWAYS READ LABELS
- When in doubt pick the option with the least amount of ingredients
- Don’t be fooled by MARKETING claims on the front of the bottle
- Stick with brands you know are CLEAN
- Check products on EWG Skin Deep Database (TIP: Try their mobile app!)
There is A LOT more information detailed in the live class recording that you won’t want to miss. Click here to watch the class now for free.
What products do you use that you need to switch to a cleaner option?
Original Content provided by Hip Foodie Mom