My fast and easy morning smoothie gets me through (almost) until lunch time. School mornings are so busy that I found myself occasionally skipping breakfast. If you’ve followed me for a while, you’ll know how I feel about breakfast (if not read this). After this happened a few times and nearly ruined my day, I came up with this morning smoothie. It’s easy enough that it only takes a minute or two to make and it provides me with the most important things I need.
My Morning Smoothie Components
The amount of diet experimentation I’ve done over the last 7 years is almost unbelievable. It took me a long time to figure out the things I need to feel healthy. The frustrating part of this is that it’s not always exactly the same, I find my needs change as I get older. These are the three things I need in the morning:
- Protein – If I don’t get enough of this in the morning I find myself with mid-day headaches and feeling overly tired.
- Probiotics – I learned early on in my diet experimentation that probiotics are a must for me (and anyone whit any kind of digestive issues).
- (Good) Carbs – This one surprised me. I’ve been eating very low carbs for a long time and until recently it was fine. I found myself feeling completely drained after any kind of exercise. I finally realized I needed to eat more fruit in the morning. I’m certainly not talking about any kind of refined carbs though!
Three Ingredient Morning Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2-1 cup fruit – blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, etc.
- 1 cup kefir or non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds OR 1 scoop high quality protein powder (I like Vega or Primal Fuel)
Throw this all in a vita-mix and blend until smooth. I pour it right into a mason jar and drink it in the car if I have to!
Do you have a fast morning go-to breakfast? Share in the comments below!
Original Content provided by Hip Foodie Mom